Thursday, May 15, 2008

Nemo, my name forevermore.

Last night I got to see Nightwish perform live for the second time. I was unsure of how well Annette (Lead vocals) would replace Tarja (Former frontwoman) in performance but she actually was really good (though she lacked Tarja's vampiric poise, that's for sure). The rest of the band (Marco - vocals/bass, Tuomas - keys, Empuu - guitar, Jukka - drums) were as tight musically as I remembered them to be. I was lucky enough to miss the opening act, excepting the last few strains of their final song. From what little I heard, I know I didn't miss much.

Nightwish, for you who don't know, is a Finnish metal band whose sound runs the gamut from symphonic to gothic to folky, though that last one is more rare in their songs. So, here's a rundown of the concert:

Bye Bye Beautiful - Great opening song, one of my favourites from Dark Passion Play.
Dark Chest of Wonders - From the album Once, a metal song about Peter Pan. Need I say more?
Whoever Brings The Night - One of their more unremarkable songs, but still catchy.
The Siren - Another song from Once, also very good.
Amaranth - The first single from Dark Passion Play, pretty good, I expected it to come later in the set though.
The Islander - Marco and Empuu picked up acoustic guitars for this one. The fact that they would perform this one in concert totally took me by surprise as it is a complete departure from Nightwish's usual style. Awesome song for sure.
The Poet and The Pendulum - The 13 minute and 54 second epic from Dark Passion Play, another surprise since the y used a full choir/orchestra (and a boy soprano soloist) for the album version. This song is probably Tuomas' magnum opus (He writes 99.9% of their music. On a completely unrelated note, he had a 12" figurine of Edward Scissorhands on one of his keyboards)
dunno - yeah, they played a song I didn't recognize, it was also very unremarkable.
While Your Lips Are Still Red - Another slow number, pretty much one big stab at Tarja, the former frontwoman/diva.
Sahara - Another one of my favourites from Dark Passion Play.
Nemo - One of the best songs Nightwish has ever written, a great closer to a great set.

Encore set: Why do bands do the whole walk-off-the-stage-wait-a-while-for-the-fans-to-scream-themselves-hoarse-then-come-back-out-and-play-more-songs thing anymore? My buddy Cole compared it to "peekaboo", I found that sadly fitting. Anyways...
7 Days to the Wolves - A good song, but 7 minutes? A bit long imho.
dunno - *gasp*! another song I didn't recognise! Shame on me...
Wish I Had An Angel - While it isn't the greatest lyrically, it's a really awesome metal tune. Probably the best song to close the show.

Nightwish is one of those rare "secular" metal bands that not only doesn't try to sell themselves as "evil" but also isn't incredibly cheesey, like almost every fantasy metal band out there. Their onstage banter was amusing (mostly about how their hockey teams are doing), and their interaction as a band was borderline hilarious. They seemed really comfortable onstage and weren't scared to have fun. I definitely hope to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment